Here are few things we think you need to remember this heating season…
1. Keep your furnace filter cleaned
2. Have your furnace maintenance every year
Your filter is what is removing all the dust, dander and debris from your air in your home. Remember, there are TWO filters in your house – your furnace filter and your lungs! Let’s make sure the furnace filter is taking the brunt of the dust and allergens, not your body.
Since your furnace is what moves the air during heating AND cooling season throughout your home, a dirty air filter can stop that air from moving. What happens is the fan inside your furnace/air handler can’t pull the air it needs from your ductwork causing it to work harder than it should.
A good example of this is a clothes dryer! If you don’t clean the filter on your dryer it can’t get enough air to dry your clothes and may break. Can you imagine not changing that filter?
A dirty filter will…
Negatively impact your furnace operation and cause it to break, which may cost a lot of money in repairs, such as:
- Blower motor repair or replacement
- In cooling season: not getting enough air across your evaporator coil can cause it to ice up and your AC to stop working. The water from the ice may harm expensive electrical components inside your unit.
- In heating mode not getting enough air across your heat exchanger (the fire compartment inside your furnace) causes excess heat and may cause your heat exchanger to crack – releasing harmful carbon monoxide into the air!
- Cost you more money to operate your system because it has to work harder to satisfy your thermostat settings.
- Your home will become dirtier because the filter is full and can’t catch the dirt, so it sends it back into your home.
How often do you change your filter?
1″ Filters – Monthly
2″ Filters – Bimonthly
3″, 4″, and 5″ Filters – Every 4 to 6 months
When in doubt, swap it out!!!
How do you remember to change it?
You can get a thermostat that will remind you.
Use your calendar in your phone to remind you.
Whatever works for you…just make sure you do it! It’s something so simple to maintain that, if neglected, can cause you thousands of dollars in the long run!
When is the best time to schedule your furnace tune-up?
We recommend you schedule your tune up with us before you start using your furnace. If you happen to forget, just make sure you call us to schedule it. REMEMBER, your warranty can be voided if you do not keep it maintained.